Salesforce password resets – when all else fails
Sometimes a user just can’t get their password reset. Even once they spot the “Reset Password” link on the log in page (which seems to be mysteriously invisible to a large number of users), they may not get the email for one reason or another. Or they may not have clicked on the initial activation link because they were on holiday and now can’t find it under hundreds of other emails… Well there is a solution that lets you choose and set a password for a user in 6 easy steps:
1. Open the developer console by clicking on your name in the top right and selecting “Developer Console”. Like this:
2. The Developer Console opens and looks something like this:
3. Click on “Debug” in the menu bar across the top then select “Open Execute Anonymous Window”.
4. A window with the title “Enter Apex Code” appears.
5. Enter the following code. Replace USER_ID with the Id of the User and NEW_PASSWORD with the new password.
6. Click on the Execute button.
Good to know
– You can get the user’s Id by navigating to their record under Setup | Manage Users | Users and clicking on their user record. The user’s Id will be in the URL after salesforce.com/. It will be 15 characters long.
– This method won’t force the user to reset their password once they log in.